Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Counting Moments

There is a quote that I came upon years ago by poet Rabindranath Tagore:

The butterfly counts not months but moments,
and has time enough.

This quote took on new meaning for me after Julia's death.  I was putting together a scrapbook of pictures of Julia, and I realized that these words were the perfect introduction.  I had chosen not to arrange the photos chronologically, but simply as a collection of moments.  Julia's life was very short compared to most, and certainly compared to our hopes and expectations.  But Bert and I have both taken comfort in realizing that there is no set amount of time for any life.  Many are long, many are short, and it's helpful to see each one as complete in it's own way.  Lots of our memories of Julia are sad and difficult to think about.  But there are so many beautiful, wonderful memories, and when I even begin to add up all these moments it's hard to feel like I haven't already been given all the happiness in the world.  


Julia and her Dad by the river at the university, 
one of their favorite places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment